Sunday, January 18, 2009

Must Be Funny

One of the standard first questions in the dating world is "What do you look for in a man?" While we roll this question around in our heads, trying to dream up a perfect response to this man we've just met, I wonder if any of us ever actually have a good answer. It always keeps changing, after every man we date or grow to hate. The definition expands as our dating lives do. Wouldn't it be great if one day a man asked us that question and we could respond in one word: "you"?

After my dating marathon of a year, I could write a fairly entertaining mini-series on my new and improved definition of a perfect man. It would include: not a stress-case like "Nomad" but just as good looking, not an idiot like "Drunken Dancer", not an indecisive, dramatic 12-year-old girl like "Jimbo Jones", not a douche bag like "Mr. Hollywood", some good looks like "Minor League" without the ego, no "Frenchie's" with their excessive amounts of money, and, at all costs, avoid the boring, yet sweet, "IQ's".

Maybe the new year has given me this new perspective, and a new man. After speaking with "Ferrell" for a few minutes on New Year's Eve, he asked me the famous, aforementioned question. My response was simple, straight-forward, and a direct result of my most recent, failed dating blitz: "He has to be funny." I guess if I had to take out a personal ad, that would be the title, 'must be funny'. He can't take himself too seriously and he has to be able to make me laugh. So far, I'm still happily optimistic about "Ferrell" and myself. I think this is one of the best aspects of a new relationship; the other is the fireworks.

1 comment:

emmiebean said...

you two girls are cute. Keep blogging and channeling Ms. C Bradshaw-- i like it!!

(I also like that I know who a couple of these nicknamed men are just by their descriptions... makes me feel very much like an insider ;)